Dev Update #14
Hi, hope you are all having a nice 2014 so far!
I’ve been busy finalizing and polishing character event cutscenes. Let me tell you a bit more about what that entails.
There are 10 “eligible” characters in the game, 5 females and 5 males (Yes, same-sex marriage/relationships are allowed!). Each one has at least 5 “events” which you’ll encounter as your relationship with the character progresses. Most of the events include conversations in which you can choose between different dialogue options. Sometimes the option you choose will affect how the rest of the event plays out. In addition to conversation options, you’ll sometimes be given a choice between multiple courses of action, which always has an effect on how the event plays out. Sometimes, choices you make in events will affect what characters end up doing in the future. Characters that you can’t marry also have these event cutscenes, but typically not as many.
I’ve been carefully going through every one of these events, adding or rewriting dialogue, new animations, props, cameo characters, settings, storylines, graphical cutscenes, sounds, music, and more! I also added a lot more cases where your choices affect how the rest of the event plays out. Additionally… while working on these events, if I encounter anything else in the game I am unhappy with I typically take a small detour and fix that as well.
So I’ve been working mostly on events, with slight detours here and there to polish other aspects of the game.
Some other new things I’ve added since last update:
- 2 children… a boy and a girl (seen below) — I felt that children were necessary to make the town feel more alive. They are also useful as plot elements, and have already been incorporated into other characters’ storylines.
- Bath house, with locker rooms — Fun setting for events, place to relax, and an excuse to see characters in their bathing suits.
- An arcade in the saloon — A place for the youth to hang out. Some fun surprises as well.
What else needs to be done before release?
- Finish the rest of the events
- The Joja Corporation story arc
- Post-marriage life
- Finish Multiplayer
- More polishing!
- Testing, technical stuff, performance optimizations, possible mac and linux port
The following are all in-game screenshots:
<– You might encounter it if you play your cards right…
Thanks for reading!